Parents are at the core of the Suzuki approach, as they support their children’s practising at home. All new parents attend their first three private instrumental lessons without their children so that teachers can ensure the parents’ understanding of the basics of both the Suzuki philosophy and the instruments their children are about to study. Should a parent wish to withdraw after completing the three parent only lessons, fees for the remaining six weeks of term will be returned. As well, all new parents are requested to attend the Parent Education classes which are held on group class dates, involving discussion of Suzuki philosophy, the Suzuki triangle, listening, motivation and practising.
One private lesson annually is set aside for a parent-teacher conference for all students, and there are additional lectures and workshops for both new and experienced Suzuki parents during the year.
Upcoming Parent Discussion Sessions
We offer many sessions for parents during the school year and you are all invited to attend and take away all the ideas our guest speaker and faculty members have to offer.
Resources for Parents
- Parent Handbook 2017-18-5
- Summer Practice Ideas from Judy’s Summer Survival Practice on May 3rd, 2014
- Make a Review Game! Craft sheet from Jan 25, 2014
- SUMMER PRACTICE – GET READY!
- Motivation and Practice Techniques-from Diana Lam, January 2011
- The Importance of Listening
- It’s Time
- Practice and Progress
- Practicing Tips
- Effective Learning Environment
- Happy Review Year
- Helping Your Child Practice
- The 7 S’s of Practice
- Party Time!
Links to Articles covering Early Childhood Studies
- Read full research papers from David Gerry, Flutist, Music Cognition Researcher and Suzuki Teacher Trainer
Join a Parent Class!
Registration for any parents who would like to join:
Parent Orchestra: availability is based on demand. Contact email@example.com for more information.
Parent Guitar Group: contact teacher Daniel Srugo directly.
Parent Ukulele Group: contact the instructor, Andrew Davidson directly.